THE CHAINSTORE WAS TRANSFORMED BY RIVER RUN EXHIBITION, A SIMILAR INSTALLATION WILL BE CREATED FOR THE ORCHESTRA IN A WEEKEND EVENT
To Date, 200 ARTISTS AND CHILDREN have been involved in making and exhibiting visual arts works as part of the Water City Festival
Artists , Artist’s groups and organisations who have been involved to date in the visual arts:-
Arteast, disability Enterprise, 20 people
Signs of Life, Mural Project, 20 people
Neha Malik, Painter
Caroline Holden-Hotopf, Artist/Cartoonist
Theo Creber, Photographer
Mark O’Rourke, Painter
Ann-Marie Fairbrother, Artist
Kole Onilere, Film maker
Ian Moore, Designer
Nick Creber, Artist
Laura Williams, Artist
Joao Wrobel, Architect
Designers and Architects at Leaside Regeneration, Regeneration Company
Eva Bachmann, Photogrpher/Painter
Maria Alvarez-Echenique, Ceramic Sculptor
Paula Haughney, Sculptor
Murude Leong, Ceramic Artist
Chris Warmington, Artist
Lydia Gardner, Painter
Soren Meyes, Painter
Sam March, Painter
Alexander Blake, Painter
James trimmer, Painter
Chris Wheeler, Painter
Marguerite Creber, Painter
Ben Smithers, Painter/Graphic Artist
Yvonne Coughlan, Artist
Faraday Nursery School, 24 children
Marner after-school club, 12 children
Marner School, yrs 5+6, 60 children
River Run workshops 30 children
A BIT OF HISTORY ABOUT THE CHAINSTORE
Follow this link from
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN SUPPLEMENT NO. 470
NEW YORK, JANUARY 3, 1885
for interesting facts about how Whistling and bell buoys work. These buoys are still in use today.
Background information about Trinity Buoy Wharf
Henry VIII gave the forerunner of the Corporation of Trinity House a royal charter in 1514 and it received a coat of arms in 1573 along with the authority to create beacons and signs “for the better navigation of the coasts of England”.
Since then it has pioneered the techniques of lighthouses and signage often worked at its Thames side workshop at Trinity Buoy Wharf established in 1803.
At first wooden buoys and sea marks were made and stored there and a mooring provided for the Trinity House yacht which laid the buoys.
The river wall along the Lea was rebuilt in brick in 1822 and this is the oldest surviving structure on the site.
The iconic experimental lighthouse was built in 1864 along with the chain and buoy store and expansion meant that by 1910 it was a major local employer of tradesmen such as platers, blacksmiths, riveters, painters and chain testers.
Modernised between 1947 and 1966, it finally closed on December 3, 1988, when it was taken over by the London Docklands Development Corporation.